''Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.''
-- A. Sachs

''Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.''
-- W.H. Auden

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Fashion of the 1950s

I love 1950s fashion. It is definitely my favourite era in fashion, because it wasn't about fashion. It was about style. And how stylish it was.


After the War, women were pushed back into the home after temporarily taking up 'male duties' during the War. Being a wife and being feminine was what every women should want, and being a good housewife was the supreme goal.

Fashion was integral to upholding women's femininity. The fashions of the era highlighted this, in the form of full, billowing skirts, soft shoulders and stiletto heels.


A tiny waist and hourglass figure was considered the ideal for women, but for the most part, this ideal was not possible. Heavy-duty undergarments, like corsets, became popular for women of the time to wear. 


I love looking at pictures of women's fashion of the 50s. I find it very inspiring.


























































Laura.X











No comments:

Post a Comment